SFC Phonenumber

FAQs on Money & Benefits

Can I claim Carer’s Allowance?

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you:

• are aged 16 or over
• spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person

You need to be caring for somebody who is getting one of the following benefits:

• Attendance Allowance
• Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate for personal care
• Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

If someone else is also looking after the same person, only one of you can get Carer's Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance can only be paid for caring for one person.

Carer's Allowance can be claimed by more than one person in a household, such as a couple caring for each other.

Carer's Allowance is not affected by any savings you may have.

Find out how to claim including how to claim online and useful numbers

Can I use my Carer’s Assessment for complementary therapies or gym membership?

Yes.  The grant is to enable carers to have real time off from their caring role and reduce the impact of caring on their health and well being. Joining a gym or having a complementary therapy treatment would be an excellent way of achieving this.

What is a Carer’s Assessment?

A Carer's Assessment is an opportunity for you to tell a social worker what impact caring has on you - with a view to making sure you have enough help and support with your caring role. 

Adults who are providing substantial amounts of care on a regular basis for a person aged 18 or over have a right to a Carer’s Assessment.

A Carer’s Assessment is NOT about testing your ability to care. It’s a way of identifying how caring impacts on your life.

It helps to determine what support might be available to help you.

A Carer’s Assessment can be carried out even when the person cared for refuses help or an assessment for themselves.

You can do a self assessment (Impact of Caring Form) outlining the support you think might be helpful for you in your caring role and to make your life easier.

For Adult Social Care, the Customer Service Centre is the first point of contact for most enquiries: 

Call: 0116 305 0004

If you are a parent caring for a disabled child, your needs as a carer will be assessed as part of a family assessment. You have the right to a family needs assessment under the Children’s Act 1989. You do not have to be the mother or father of the child.

Some things you may want to think about are:

• Do you get enough sleep?
• Is your health affected in any way?
• Are you able to get out and about?
• Do you get time for yourself?
• Are your other relationships affected?
• Do you want information about benefits?
• Are you worried you may have to give up work?
• Is the person you care for getting enough help?

Back to Top

Leicestershire council logo
Support for Carers Leicestershire is funded by Leicestershire County Council. However, we rely on donations to enhance the services we provide for carers in the area. If you would like to support us please contact us.