SFC Phonenumber

FAQs on

Can I attend more than one Carers’ Support Group?

You can attend as many groups as you like.  Groups have been organised in different locations around the County.  Each group is different as some like the group to be informative with speakers and others just want to meet for a chat with like minded people.  Many good friendships have been formed through attending carers' groups so do give them a try! 

Can I claim Carer’s Allowance?

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you:

• are aged 16 or over
• spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person

You need to be caring for somebody who is getting one of the following benefits:

• Attendance Allowance
• Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate for personal care
• Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

If someone else is also looking after the same person, only one of you can get Carer's Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance can only be paid for caring for one person.

Carer's Allowance can be claimed by more than one person in a household, such as a couple caring for each other.

Carer's Allowance is not affected by any savings you may have.

Find out how to claim including how to claim online and useful numbers

Can I use my Carer’s Assessment for complementary therapies or gym membership?

Yes.  The grant is to enable carers to have real time off from their caring role and reduce the impact of caring on their health and well being. Joining a gym or having a complementary therapy treatment would be an excellent way of achieving this.

Do you support parent carers?

Support for Carers Leicestershire is not commissioned to provide support to people caring for children under 18. We would advise you to go to Early Help at Leicestershire County Council to see what support may be available to parent carers.

How can I find out about respite care?

There are a number of ways that you can take a break from your caring role.  Respite care can be provided through:

Residential respite – the person you care for is looked after by someone else for a while, either in residential or nursing care, or on holiday.

Domicillary care – someone comes into your home and takes over care for a while (for a few hours or sometimes overnight) so you can go out or have some time to yourself.

Day care – where the person you are looking after goes to a day centre or takes part in activities away from the home allowing you a break from caring.

Holidays - there are a number of organisations that provide opportunities for children with special needs or people with disabilities to go on holiday with the appropriate support provided.

Direct Payments – the local authority works out what services they think you may need following a community care assessment and instead of arranging the services directly, give you (or the person you care for) the money to buy the service directly from an appropriate agency or person. A direct payment can be used to pay for alternative care whilst the carer takes a break.

Vouchers – some local authorities provide vouchers which can be exchanged for services such as those offered by care agencies, or residential homes.

Other organisations providing respite care

Some voluntary organisations also provide respite services. Crossroads Care is a charity which has a network of local schemes providing respite in the home, using trained staff. Many Crossroads schemes do not charge although there is often a waiting list for their services.

A small number of the Carers' Centres that work in partnership with The Princess Royal Trust for Carers directly provide respite care. If they do not provide this service they can give you information and support about what is available locally.

How can I meet other carers?

Check our newsletter or website for details of carers groups in your area.  If there is not a group near you and you know a few carers who would like to start a group, contact Support for Carers Leicestershire and we will give you all the support and encouragement we can.  We can help to find a venue, apply for funding and contact other carers in the area to promote the group.

If you are unable to leave the person you care for you may like to consider having a Telephone Befriender so you have someone to talk to outside of the family.

What are the benefits of having a Telephone Befriender?

A Telephone Befriender is a volunteer who will call you once a week or once a fortnight for an opportunity for a friendly chat or to ‘get it all off your chest’.  The phone calls are confidential and the same befriender will call you each time so you get to know each other.  Although the calls are made on the same day each time it is not a commitment to be at home.  If you are not at home the befriender will just try you the following week.  Carers who use the service say how nice it is to know someone is taking the time to really listen and show an interest in their lives.

What can Support for Carers do for me?

The service aims to bring all the support services for carers under one roof to make it easier for you to find information, advice and support.

The service is for all carers in the county and it covers Charnwood, Blaby, Harborough, Hinckley and Bosworth, Melton, North West Leicestershire and Oadby and Wigston.

It's free and confidential and offers a wide range of help including a dedicated telephone advice line on 0845 689 9510 open Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm and on Fridays from 9am to 4.30pm. You're welcome to call and talk to our experienced team about any aspect of being a carer. 

We also run a Telephone Befriending Service specifically for carers so you can talk, at a time to suit you, with someone who understands what it’s like to be a carer. Whether it’s a light-hearted chat or the chance to get it all off your chest we can provide the listening ear. To find out more call 0845 689 9510 or email [email protected] 

We can help you set up your own local carers’ group too. Get in touch to find out how we can help.

What is a Carer’s Assessment?

A Carer's Assessment is an opportunity for you to tell a social worker what impact caring has on you - with a view to making sure you have enough help and support with your caring role. 

Adults who are providing substantial amounts of care on a regular basis for a person aged 18 or over have a right to a Carer’s Assessment.

A Carer’s Assessment is NOT about testing your ability to care. It’s a way of identifying how caring impacts on your life.

It helps to determine what support might be available to help you.

A Carer’s Assessment can be carried out even when the person cared for refuses help or an assessment for themselves.

You can do a self assessment (Impact of Caring Form) outlining the support you think might be helpful for you in your caring role and to make your life easier.

For Adult Social Care, the Customer Service Centre is the first point of contact for most enquiries: 

Call: 0116 305 0004

If you are a parent caring for a disabled child, your needs as a carer will be assessed as part of a family assessment. You have the right to a family needs assessment under the Children’s Act 1989. You do not have to be the mother or father of the child.

Some things you may want to think about are:

• Do you get enough sleep?
• Is your health affected in any way?
• Are you able to get out and about?
• Do you get time for yourself?
• Are your other relationships affected?
• Do you want information about benefits?
• Are you worried you may have to give up work?
• Is the person you care for getting enough help?

What is personalisation?

Personalisation means thinking about care and support services in an entirely different way.

The traditional service-led approach has often meant that people have not received the right help at the right time and have been unable to shape the kind of support they need.  Personalisation is about giving people much more choice and control over their lives and ensuring people have wider choices in how their needs are met. This will help you have more access to universal services such as transport, leisure and education, housing, health and opportunities for employment, regardless of age or disability.

There are 6 stages of personalisation: 

1. Contact with Social Worker talking about the support you want.

2. Thinking about the day to day support you need

3. Social Worker helps you with completing a Support Plan

4. Information from Support Plan input into a data system

5. A budget is worked out

6. My Choice
(Council or a Provider of your choice can arrange Services for you)

For Adult Social Care, the Customer Service Centre is the first point of contact for most enquiries: 

Call: 0116 305 0004

What would happen if I was unable to care for my loved one because I had an illness or accident?

The Carers Emergency Card Scheme has been set up to give carers the peace of mind if something should happen that means you are unable to provide regular support to your loved one/friend. 

Where can I find out about Carers’ Groups where I live?

You can find out about local Carers' Groups in Leicestershire in the Meet Other Carers section of the website. There's also a growing list of groups and activities in our online directory. Alternatively, please feel free to call us on 0845 689 9510 or email [email protected]

We're very happy to help set up new carers' groups around Leicestershire. 

Back to Top

Leicestershire council logo
Support for Carers Leicestershire is funded by Leicestershire County Council. However, we rely on donations to enhance the services we provide for carers in the area. If you would like to support us please contact us.